Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feeling Phat

I'm waiting for my daughter to finish up dance class yesterday and the lovely woman next to me starts talking to another mom in the waiting area. 

Mom1: "I saw Shelly the other day, she looks great!" 
Mom2:  "I know!  She said she is working out all the time."
Mom1:  "She really has slimmed down alot, I am so happy for her"

This relatively innocuous conversation makes me feel totally self conscious.  I know it sounds sooo very shallow because my being there had absolutely nothing to do with this discussion in any way.  It is just that sometimes being in the vicinity of a conversation like this makes me think that these ladies might be trying to send me a message! 

Wow, I just read that back.  Talk about paranoid!!!  I mean sure, I want to get rid of some weight (don't say lose, cause i don't want it back - yucka yucka).   And I definitely hate feeling uncomfortable in situations like this because usually I am a pretty confident, sort of funny, outgoing kind of gal and I really do like Me.  I just wish that I was in better shape. 

So after that little moment I see this pin which made me LOL and this post was born! 




How awesome?  Since I did not come up with that little piece of wit myself somebody else out there feels the same way as I do! Wahoo! I am not alone!!  Don't many of us wish we had made it to the gym today?  Hell I could just go for a walk or start Insanity or P90x...OK even I couldn't keep a straight face for that last one.  I have seen P90x on YouTube and I break a sweat just watching from the comfort of my couch.  Not that there is anything wrong with P90x, I have a friend who did it for a while and she got a smoking body out of it. 

I have the best intentions.  I know all the tricks for putting myself first; scheduling gym time, getting a work out buddy, etc.   Life just gets in my way.  OK plus I'm lazy soooo that doesn't really help.

I have a mom friend whom I idolize...she has 4 kids and gets to the gym for a run EVERY SINGLE DAY!  I have 2 kids and they are both in school all day, I don't even walk the dog...what the hell?!  This friend not only has two school age kids, but also a preschooler PLUS a baby who is under 1 and she looks great!  I can't even claim to be losing the 'baby weight' anymore because my youngest is SIX YEARS OLD!  I love this woman's commitment and stamina!  I think I might have a girl crush on her.

So I have to get started doing something.  Maybe I'll walk or run.  I used to run, I loved running.  Many people hate running but I loved that endorphin kick.  Now I get that kick from a piece of good chocolate or a caramel macchiato, skinny please!  When I see people running on a beautiful day like today I look at them with envy.  I want that feeling again...gotta go dig my running shoes out of the back of my closet.  What?  Oh, that was just my knees screaming in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment